Tucson’s Historic Corner: University Boulevard & 6th Avenue. ‘Surrounded by Tucson History’
Here is a real treat; 1901 Tucson citizens and business directory. Fun and very interesting.
Sheriff Wakefield’s Tucson House
Stately on the NE corner of University Blvd & 6th AveThe first house to be built in The West University Historic District. The Wakefield house was built prior to 1895. The Current picture was taken in 1899 only 4 years after The University of Arizona held its’ first day of classes, with Lymon Wakefield personally with his family on the front porch. Lyman Wakefield was the 13th sheriff of Pima County. and served 1899-1900.. It is noted that “great advances in law enforcement in the realm of crime prevention were made during his term,”
The Historic Charles H. Bayless Tucson Home
Awesome on the NW corner of University & 6th Ave.
The Bayless family were pioneers in Arizona. William H. Bayless and his sons, Charles and John, were involved in cattle and sheep ranching in Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota before coming to Arizona in 1883. With Jehiel W. Berkalew, they established Bayless and Berkalew to manage land holdings and ranching operations in southern Arizona. J. F. Shields was a Civil War officer with the 13th Kansas Volunteers.
Historic Ramsey / Gardiner House
“The Big Blue House on the corner”
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. One of the most unique and historic homes in Tucson Arizona. Designed by the famous architect Henry Charles Trost.
Built of solid Redwood and Maple by the master craftsmen of Gardiner, Worthen & Goss in the summer of 1899.
“Throughout his career Henry Trost demonstrated his ability to work in a variety of styles, including Art Deco, Mission Revival, Prairie, and even Pueblo Revival.
Many of the buildings designed by Trost & Trost display an influence from the Chicago School of architecture, especially the work of Louis Sullivan. Henry Trost had lived in Chicago between 1888 and 1896, and worked as a draftsman for the firm of Adler & Sullivan during that period. At Adler & Sullivan Trost worked adjacent to Frank Lloyd Wright.
Brother & BusinessRonstadt, the son of Federico A. Ronstadt, was born in Altar, Sonora, in 1879 and came to Arizona in 1885. Early in his career, he was the Tucson Postmaster and a county supervisor. With brother Fred and brother-in-law Jesus M. Zepada, he started F. Ronstadt Company. Ronstadt owned the Santa Margarita Ranch, which was the headquarters for the Baboquivari Livestock Company. He was president of that organization, as well as of the Ronstadt Commission Company, and was a director of the Southern Arizona Bank and Trust Company. Ronstadt died in 1933, leaving the house to his wife, Hortense, who died in 1965. Yes, this is Linda Ronstadt’s Family (the famous singer is from Tucson, Arizona) The Ronstadts were famous for their wagon and carriage making skills. They used the railroad to distribute their wagons worldwide. The Ronstadts are an important part of Tucson’s History and have several Tucson Locations and landmarks named for them.